GUIDE TO OFFICIAL EMAIL 2018-19
District 70 provides official email accounts for the District Management Team, District Officers, and Staff Officers (called District Officers below).
All District Officers are encouraged to use their official district email addresses when sending email.
The Postmaster is responsible for managing the district email system which includes approximately 100 email accounts and 260 email forwards, and we thank Cheryl Keane DTM, the current Postmaster, for her ongoing work over the years.
SPAM & UNSOLICITED EMAILS
Unfortunately spam and unsolicited emails are a fact of having an email account. Whilst D70 has an active spam filter some spam may get through. There's a lot of guidance online on what to do with these emails, including Stay Smart Online from the Federal Government.
We've unfortunately had to set the D70 Spam Filter sensitivity quite high which means sometimes a legitimate email may be considered spam and deleted. Should you believe this is happening please contact the Postmaster who will see about adjusting the filter.
ACCESSING YOUR OFFICIAL EMAIL ACCOUNT
Before you start. Your official email account has already been created and the Postmaster will provide you with your official district email address and account password.
There are two ways you can access your email:
Option 1 (Webmail) which uses a Web Browser Application (e.g.: Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome, etc.) on your device(s) to access your online email account at https://webmail.au.syrahost.com/login/ Webmail is simple to use but requires internet access for your Web Browser to work, and it takes more of your effort over time to manage your email as you need to jump between the different email accounts.; and/or
Option 2 (Email Client) which uses a Mail Application (e.g.: Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, Eudora, etc.) on your device(s) to access your email account(s) and present your email to you in one spot. Email Client is harder to set up for each email account on each device you use, but when done it's easier to manage your email as your different email accounts are located in one spot, and when the device has internet access the Email Client synchronises your device with the online email server, but you still get to use the Email Client in between when the device doesn't have internet access.
Options 1 and 2 are not exclusive so you can use them at the same time.
The D70 email provider has further detail at what is an email client.
Instructions on how to access your official email account are provided below.
Option 1 (Webmail)
Step 1: Log on now to WebMail with the official email address and password you have been given.
Step 2: Once you have signed in you should see something like:
Step 3: Set your email signature by going to Settings > Identities > Edit, item as shown below:
The Toastmasters International Brand Manual recommended signature is (in Arial font):
Step 4: Set up email folders:
As Webmail is ongoing and creating a corporate history, it is recommended you set up folders, especially for the current District Year.
Step 5: Send an email by clicking Compose as shown below:
Option 2 (Email Client)
Email Clients (i.e. the Mail application on your device) need to know:
- the settings for the Email Server (i.e. what's on the internet), and
- your account name and password.
Setting information for the Email Server is at 5. Quick Email Settings which translate to:
- Incoming and Outgoing Servers = mail.D70toastmasters.org.au
As you step through these instructions it's worth noting D70 has purchased the regular Email Hosting service (not Exchange).
Also, the (newer) IMAP protocol enables you to use Email Clients on multiple devices whilst POP3 is limited to a single device. IMAP is the recommended protocol as email server storage for D70 isn’t an issue so the IMAP disadvantage doesn’t apply.
END OF YEAR PROCEDURE
At the end of your term, District Officers are required to:
- keep emails which would be of interest to their successor(s) under the principle "I wish I had seen that when I started the role", and
- delete emails which include personal, private and/or sensitive information relating to an individual, or group of individuals.
SYSTEM SUMMARY (For those who are interested)
As of 1 January 2018 the (new) District Email System has five basic constructs:
1. District Email Accounts. There are 95 email accounts with passwords that enable District Officers to send email from an official district email address, e.g.: firstname.lastname@example.org which belongs to the District Director (DD).
The Postmaster can reset this account password for you.
To send email from your official email address the District Officer needs to login (see above Accessing Your Official Email Account), generate a new email, then send it.
Emails and attachments can be kept in the district email accounts to provide a corporate history for new District Officers from one year to another.
2. Group Email Accounts. There are 5 group email accounts where emails sent to the group are automatically forwarded to all members of the group (where group membership is maintained by the Postmaster).
These group email accounts are rarely accessed by anyone, except by Senior District Officers.
3. Email Forwards. There are 270 email forwards maintained by the Postmaster where an email sent to an an official district email address, e.g.: email@example.com, is automatically forwarded to another address(es).
Each year at Changeover, the Postmaster sets up the new email forwards, so each new District Officer has their email automatically forwarded from their official district email address to their private email, based on details provided to District 70.
The Postmaster can add new email forwards for you, or remove old ones that are no longer needed.
4. Corporate History. The new District 70 Email System allows emails and attachments to be kept in email accounts and folders which enable a corporate history to be built over time.
This is of value to incumbent District Officers who can review what has happened previously in their roles.
5. Spam Filtering. Our Email Provider uses Apache SpamAssassin™️.